I am an ecologist with a passion for wild creatures, wild places, and innovative technology that helps us better understand and manage the natural environment.
What fascinates me…..the unique inter-dependencies between wildlife and their habitats, dynamic animal movements in unpredictable environments, and photography that captures the essence of nature.
2008 PhD (Conservation Ecology), The Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University (ANU)
1995 B.Sc.(Hons) (Zoology) University of New South Wales (UNSW)
Fields of expertise:
- Wildlife Drones – radio-tracking of wildlife with drones
- Threatened species planning, management and research
- Project management
- Stakeholder engagement and negotiation
- Environmental Impact Assessment evaluation
- Ecological research and wildlife surveys
- Environmental education and community liaison
|2016 – current
|CEO, Wildlife Drones Pty Ltd
|2010-2011||Threatened Species Consultant, for the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (DSEWPaC)|
|2009-2011||Environmental Consultant for Birds Australia and the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (DSEWPaC), Threatened species research, profiles and management|
|2010||Sustainable farms project officer, The Fenner School of Environment and Society, ANU.|
|2008-2009||Postdoctoral researcher, Bird migration research, Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, Germany|
|2008||Threatened Species Recovery Coordinator, Biodiversity Conservation Section, New South Wales Department of Environment and Climate Change (NSW DECC)
Publishing fellow, The Fenner School of Environment and Society, ANU
|2003 – 2007||PhD researcher, Fenner School of Environment and Society, ANU|
|2001 – 2005||Threatened Species Recovery Coordinator, Threatened Species Unit, NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NSW NPWS)|
|2000 – 2001||Biotrack Project Manager, Commonwealth Key Centre for Biodiversity and Bio-resources, Macquarie University|
|1996 – 2000||Environmental Consultant (Ecologist), Biosis Research Pty. Ltd.|
|1994 – 1996||Environmental Education Officer, Coastal Environment Centre|
Awards and Grants
|2016 – current
2011 – 2016
|– New South Wales Environmental Trust Grant, ANU ($1m)
– Australian Research Council Linkage Grant, ANU ($375K)
|2008-2009||– Publishing fellowship, The Fenner School of Environment and Society
– Postdoctoral fellowship, Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, Germany
– WWF Threatened Species Network grant
|2007||– International Association of Research Universities (IARU) grant|
|– ANU collaborative projects travel grant|
|– NSW Department of Environment and Conservation travel grant|
|– The Fenner School of Environment and Society Special Purpose Fund grant|
|2004||– Natural Heritage Trust grant for the Swift Parrot Recovery Program|
|2003||– ANU PhD research scholarship|
Professional Consultant Experience
I have written over 50 consultant and research reports, including a range of report types, from plans of management, impact assessments and biodiversity mapping to technical peer reviews.
A selection of these are detailed below:
- Species profiles and threats (SPRAT) database – compilation of the latest research information on threatened orchid species of eastern Australia (2011 for DSEWPAC).
- Investigation of Neophema Parrot Migration in relation to a proposed windfarm development in north west Tasmania (2000 for Hydro-electric Corporation).
- Green and Golden Bell Frog Plan of Management for the proposed Holroyd Gardens residential development, Western Sydney (1999 for Delfin Holroyd).
- Species Impact Statement for the proposed Pacific Highway Upgrade, Bonville (1998 for PPK).
- Endangered Long-nosed Bandicoot population threatened species legislation assessment (1999 for Leech and Associates).
- City wide vegetation, fauna habitat and biodiversity mapping (1998 for Lake Macquarie City Council).
- Terrestrial fauna assessment of the proposed Department of Defence multi-purpose wharf and ammunition stores at Twofold Bay, Eden (1999 for Woodward Clyde).
- Threatened species impact assessment for the proposed Queensland Interconnection Transmission Line, Northern Tablelands (1999 for TransGrid).
- Second Sydney Airport Supplementary fauna impact assessment (1998 for PPK).
- Biodiversity, fauna survey and habitat significance assessment of Eraring Power Station (1999 Pacific Power).
Environmental education experience
I have experience developing and/or implementing a diversity of environmental education workshops and seminars as summarized below:
- Swift Parrot recovery and woodland bird workshops (sixteen workshops), field trips and presentations for the National Swift Parrot Recovery Program.
- Aboriginal schoolchildren wildlife tracking skills project, for the Pitjantjatjara Aboriginal Community.
- Urban wildlife workshops, for the Coastal Environment Centre.
- Community environmental education program, for Corcovado Foundacion, Cost Rica.
- Environmental education and outreach to the broader community through numerous traditional and online media avenues within Australia and internationally.
Other relevant training/experience
- Project management and workshop facilitation
- Effective communication and conflict resolution
- Editing, proofreading, literary search strategies, topic analysis and literature review
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping using Arcview and ArcGIS
- Other computer programs including Word, Excel and Access
- Statistical methods for research in Life Sciences
- Remote area and Senior First Aid and Occupational Health and Safety training
- CASA Remotely Piloted Aircraft Controllers Certificate & Aeronautical Radio Operator’s Certificate