I am fascinated by all forms of wildlife no matter how large or small. Below is a list of wildlife research projects that I have been involved with over the past 20 years.
Australian Wildlife Research Experience
- Nesting surveys for the Endangered Swift Parrot in eastern Tasmania, for the Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment.
- Nesting research on Eclectus Parrots, Iron Range National Park and surrounds, Cape York, for the Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, ANU.
- Orange-bellied Parrot breeding success, parentage and banding research at Melaleuca, South West Wilderness, Tasmania, for Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment.
- Numerous banding research projects on native birds in Weddin Mountains National Park, Charcoal Tank Nature Reserve, Cumberland State Forest, Agnes Banks Nature Reserve, Scheyville National Park, Barren Grounds Nature Reserve, Mount Annan Botanical Gardens and Munghorn Gap Nature Reserve, for the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme.
- Breeding surveys and banding of threatened Little Terns at Culburra, NSW, for Birds Australia.
- Surveys for threatened Ground Parrots at Barren Grounds Nature Reserve NSW, for NPWS.
- Mountain Pygmy Possum ecological research, Kosciuszko NP, for the NPWS.
- Bridle Nail-tail Wallaby radio tracking, Emerald, Central Queensland for Emerald Council and Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service.
- Tiger Quoll trapping and radio tracking, Barrington Tops rainforest, NSW, for University of Sydney, University of NSW and Taronga Zoo.
- Mammal surveys in the Simpson Desert sand dunes of south-western Queensland, for University of Sydney.
- Western Quoll (Chuditch) research for the threatened species recovery program, re-introduction strategy, for Denmark Environment Centre and Department of Conservation and Land Management.
- Small mammal surveys in Sydney Harbour National Park, Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park and Manly Dam Reserve for the Royal Zoological Society.
- Radio tracking Ringtail and Brushtail Possums in Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park and suburban areas for University of NSW.
- Great Desert Skink tracking using traditional Aboriginal techniques, with Pitjantjatjara Aboriginal Community, Wataru, South Australia, for the Pitjantjatjara Land Management Program.
- Black Rock Skink ecological research in Kanangra Boyd National Park, NSW, for Sydney University.
- Carpet Python radio tracking at Dryandra Forest and Garden Island, Western Australia, for Department of Conservation and Land Management.
- Reptile surveys in the Simpson Desert sand dunes of south-western Queensland for the University of Sydney.
- Threatened frog (Giant-burrowing Frog) survey of the Watagan Mountains, NSW for State Forests.
- Frog biodiversity surveys at Ourimbah and Watagan Mountains for University of NSW.
- Frogwatch surveys in southern tablelands for the Australian Capital Territory frogwatch monitoring program
- Survey Leader for biodiversity surveys of Dananbilla Nature Reserve and Wheeler Creek, for the NPWS and National Parks Association
- Herpetological biodiversity survey for the proposed Bargo National Park, including surveys for the threatened Broad-headed Snake survey, for the National Parks Association.
- Biodiversity survey coordinator, for Agnes Banks Nature Reserve, Richmond NSW. For NPWS.
- Invertebrate biodiversity surveys and assessments of Pilliga State Forest and Darvall Park for the Key Centre for Biodiversity and Bio-resources.
International Conservation Research Experience
I have been involved in various international conservation projects as outlined below:
- Foraging ecology, behaviour and nesting of macaws and parrots in the lowlands of southeastern Peru, for the Tambopata Macaw Project (2008).
- Bird banding and population monitoring within the Cambridge region, United Kingdom, for the British Trust for Ornithology (2007).
- Mammal monitoring and environmental education program for the community-owned Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve, Monteverde, Costa Rica (2003).
- Environmental education program for local children and tourists in Corcovado National Park and surrounds, for the Corcovado Foundation, Costa Rica (2003).
- Bird banding and population monitoring in the Crater Mountain Wildlife Management Area, Chimbu Province, Papua New Guinea, for the Wildlife Conservation Society (2002).
- Long-beaked Echidna surveys in the proposed Yawan Conservation Area, Huon Peninsula, Papua New Guinea, for Melbourne University and the Wildlife Conservation Society (2002).